How to prep glass before applying film
Method 1: Prep work will depend on the condition of the car; older cars will require more cleaning and perhaps more disassembling, whereas a brand new car will be cleaner and quicker to prep. On a brand new car, you can usually get away with pulling the sweeps (if necessary), spraying the glass, and then using a squeegee to get any particles off. Some tinters like to use their finish tool to get the water off so they can more easily feel if there are particles or imperfections in the glass. Work your way from top to bottom with your squeegee or card, and use your sprayer in a side-to-side and top-to-bottom pattern. Peel your liner and spray it down top to bottom and then move on to the install. Method 2: On older or dirtier vehicles, you have to be more careful with your prep work. You may have to go through any or all of the following steps:
- Clean the glass with a glass cleaner and a microfiber wipe.
- Use glass cleaner and a scrub pad to get the top edge of the glass, and use a tri edge to clean the seals.
- Spray down the seals with a good amount of pressure to get any dirt or particles out of them.
- Spray the glass with soapy water and then use a brand new razor blade top to bottom, then squeegee.
- Spray and squeegee once more, use your corner tool to force water to the sweeps, then across the sweep to the narrower corner of the window.
- Lastly, spray the film, load the top of the glass, use the squeegee, clean the edges again, then one more spray before installing.
OLFA “SILVER” SS KNIFE (Olfa SVR-1 Knife) – GT126Starting Price: $9.45 Add to cart
GT027 – NT PRO A1 “RED DOT” KNIFEStarting Price: $9.45 Add to cart
OLFA A1 KNIFE GT127Starting Price: $7.35 Add to cart
NT A250RP AUTO-LOCK KNIFE GT1018Starting Price: $6.30 Add to cart
Toughened Glass Indicator (GT969)Starting Price: $367.50 Add to cart
SP1065 DIGITAL BTU SOLAR POWER METER GT967Starting Price: $178.50 Add to cart